How to get positive media coverage
Date and time: Thursday 27th February 2020, 10am – 4pm
Location: Taunton, venue TBC
Course Leader: Jamie Veitch
This course is aimed for leaders in social purpose organisations who want to secure positive media coverage. Raising your profile through the media can support you in achieving organisational goals – but you must be clear about what you want and why. And with the ever-changing media landscape, this course will equip you to understand what journalists and the media want so you have the best possible opportunity to secure the coverage you deserve.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand what different types of media want to cover and why
- Identify the angles which really make story newsworthy
- Pinpoint other opportunities for media: features, comments, opinion pieces
- Pitch journalists confidently and appropriately without falling into the classic mistakes lots of novice and experienced media pitchers make
- Speak to journalists confidently if you are interviewed for a story, or even a live broadcast interview
- Amplify the positive impact of any coverage you secure
- Understand what to do (and what not do to) in any crisis interview situation
- Plan and deliver an effective PR, media and communications campaign in support of your business or organisational goals.
Key resources to cascade to your team after:
- Recordings of mock interviews
- A free copy of my book (with a cover price of £15.99) on tips for an effective media interview.
Jamie Veitch is a social enterprise and business consultant specialising in effective communication. He has secured national, regional and local media coverage on TV and radio, in newspapers, magazines, online and in new media for hundreds of businesses, social enterprises and charities. He also presents a weekly radio programme about social enterprise.
“Best course I’ve been to in years! Very good and very relevant.”
“Jamie was interesting and friendly, had a great presentational style. Useful and enjoyable”
“Very enjoyable and instructional with excellent use of practical demonstrations.”
Venues: All Cascade Training SW courses are held in venues in Taunton, Somerset. We do our best to ensure venues located are close to public transport links and parking.
Please note that as a Community Interest Company, SCS CIC try to partner with community organisations and venues where possible. This means that venues are sometime not always your regular training space, but still offer a clean, friendly and professional space.
Venues will be confirmed seven days before the course date. A map and directions to venue will be sent to delegates, via email, approx one week before their course(s). For extra networking time, please feel free to arrive half an hour before the course start time, and leave half an hour after the course has finished.
Refreshments: Light refreshments will be available on your arrival and during scheduled breaks. A cold buffet lunch is also provided on full day courses.
Certificates: Delegates receive course certificates, which provide evidence of their Continuing Professional Development (CPD). These are emailed to delegates after completing the full day course.
Fees: Standard = £199. Discounts are available for multi-bookings, and also for membership of Co-operative UK, SCS CIC and organisations with the Social Enterprise Mark.
Click here for full pricing.